Szybka Kolej Miejska Sp. z o.o. implements the project No. POIS.07.03.00-00-002/09-00 “Launching the railway transportation service of the Warsaw Chopin Airport”.
The project involves the purchase of 13 six-car electric traction systems. Its objective is to provide the service of railway connection of the Warsaw Chopin Airport with the city centre through the railway stations Warszawa Wschodnia, Sulejówek, and Legionowo.
The objectives of the project are the following:
- Provision of the railway service of the International Warsaw Chopin Airport;
- An increase in the contribution of environmentally-friendly public transport in the service of the inhabitants of Warsaw and the Warsaw metropolis;
- The purchase of a new rolling stock with a high safety standard will result in a significant increase in the number of railway transport passengers;
- Provision of access to railway transport for disabled persons.
- The project is complementary with the project implemented by PKP PLK, involving the construction of a side track from the Warsaw Chopin Airport to the railway line No. 8, so-called “Radom” line.
Both projects, implemented by SKM Sp. z o.o. and PKP PLK, are directly related to EURO 2012 in the scope of service of sports fans and tourists visiting Warsaw.
the project implemented by the Warsaw Light Trail System is financed from the resources of the European Union Cohesion Fund in 59%. The planned total cost of the project is PLN 372,321,689.36, the maximum amount of qualified expenditures is PLN 300,832,571.00, including PLN 297,045,931.00 purposed directly for the purchase of the rolling stock. The maximum subsidy of the project from the EU resources is PLN 177,491,216.89.
The supplier of the rolling stock (13 EMU) is the company Pojazdy Szynowe PESA Bydgoszcz Spółka Akcyjna with its registered office in Bydgoszcz.
The vehicles will depart from the Warsaw Chopin Airport to the Warszawa Wschodnia station every fifteen minutes (3 per hour), and every half an hour from the Warszawa Wschodnia station to Legionowo and Sulejówek Miłosna interchangeably.
Technical data 13 vehicles:
- Maximum speed 130 km/h;
- Acceleration 1 m/s² to 50 km/h;
- Two-degree springing providing high smoothness of the vehicle’s driving;
- Automatic font couplers;
- Single-space interior with a seating system providing maximum use of the interior’s capacity;
- Monitoring system of the interior and direct external vicinity;
- Passenger-driver intercom automatically connected to the monitoring system;
- Wide doors;
- Efficient air conditioning system;
- Passenger information systems;
- Independent door opening system by pressing a button by passengers;
- Access and especially prepared places for disabled persons
- Places for transport of bicycles.
The vehicles enable transportation of more than 1000 passengers at a time – 200 persons on seats and more than 800 standing passengers.